Image
image
image
image


Class of 1956...



A week after the Spring semester began, students gathered in the Great Hall with educators from 300 universities, colleges, representatives from 130 earned societies, and public officials. They were in attendance for the inauguration of the college’s seventh President, Dr. Gallagher. In September 1955, the John H. Finley Student Center was ready for business when President Buell G. Gallagher opened the College’s new eighteen and one-half acre South Campus, in a tape cutting ceremony. On Thursday, October 8, 1953, Bernard M. Baruch’s name was incorporated into the college. There was the 1st Annual Baruch Ball, and 1st Annual Mardi Gras. Lamport House celebrated not only its 10th Anniversary, but a new House Plan emblem. The City College Swimming Team started slowly, yet captured their first Metropolitan title since 1948. On February 25, 1956, the Debating Society sponsored the first intercollegiate debating tournament held at the Finely Center with sixteen competing schools. Abbe and Hackett Hall made room for a new addition, P.S. 129., a modern elementary school. In March, a snow storm dumped fifteen inches of snow on New York City, causing President Gallagher to suspend all classes for two days. The April Fool issue of the Campus was suspended from publication. Due to items printed, Daniel Brophy, Dean of students, deemed the Campus, “an indecent publication.” Consequently, seven managing board members were suspended from the paper and classes. The Ford Foundation contributed $15,000 to inaugurate the Liberal Arts and Science curriculum, and a total of $125,000 was received from the Rockefeller and Littaur Foundations, to finance a graduate program detailing “The New York Metropolitan Area As A Focus of American Urban Civilization.”



Contact us | View site map


image


image
image