Class of 1955...|
The City College is known as the third largest campus in the United States.
In the fall, the South Campus is unveiled. Formerly a dormitory for the nuns of
The Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart, Wagner Hall becomes home to the
history department. Both Hackett Hall, which once housed the theater department,
and Abbe Hall, are closed down. The property is returned to the city, which
plans to build an elementary school, P.S. 129. The South Campus includes the
Gate House, where CCNY president Buell G. Gallagher lives.
Class of 1934 alumni, Dr. Jonas Salk, is presented with an honorary degree.
CCNY wins the Collegiate Track Conference cross-country Championship. The soccer
team wins the Metropolitan Intercollegiate Soccer Conference Championship. The
wrestling team experiences its best season since 1945. Fraternity Beta Theta
Gamma is formed. Eight students, four faculty members, and four alumni form a
board of directors to devise the John H. Finley Center. The City College Fund
covers operation and refurbishing expenses for the Center. Students are charged
a fee of $3 per semester for the Center when it opens its doors.
Contact us | View site map